[ixpmanager] Adding a Reseller Port

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Tue Jun 24 07:18:58 IST 2014

Possibly. You originally said:

> We are connecting to them over a 10g MPLS where we will create a vpls
> for each member at that site.

But I think from the following examples:

> What I am needing to do is have some functionality where I can have
> multiple customers on a 802.1q trunks.
>
> Example Participant A	VLAN 101	AS 62	206.104.51.101 2001:504:11::101
> Participant B	VLAN 102	AS 62	206.104.51.102 2001:504:11::103
> Participant C	VLAN 103	AS 62	206.104.51.103 2001:504:11::103
> Participant C	PVVLAN 202

I think you mean: "where we will create a **VLAN** for each member at
that site"?

If so, you don't need to put a switch in the other data centre, just
host it yourselves and deaggregate the VLANs on it and connect a port
per member to your peering switch.

If the numbers are small and you have ports to burn, while not pretty,
you could even do it on your own switch by connecting it back to itself
for each member!

It's for this scenario that ve functionality would be great where the ve
port could translate the VLANs for us. We don't have switches capable of
this ourselves right now but should in a few months. We wouldn't really
be able to start developing this without the functionality.

That said, if you can make this work with ve ports, the SNMP poller
might just find these new ports and add them to the system.

> At this point I am looking for a way to provision it in IXP for
> addresses and as#s.  I'm not worried about traffic graphs.

The problem is that a lot of the provisioning (as112, route collector
config, route server configs, etc) rely on the existence of a physical
interface (but a virtual interface should also work) so that it can
ensure the port is in 'normal' state (i.e. not awaiting xconnect,
quarantine, etc).

But once you have a physical interface, MRTG will start looking for it
for stats.

It may be possible to add a flag to the physical interface such as 'do
not poll' which would allow you to add a 'dummy' switch with 'dummy'
ports to get you over a hump here. Obviously you wouldn't have traffic
graphs.

> I will visit the idea about having he datacenter let us put a switch
> out at their site so we can have the functionality as it is written.

Or just terminate their 10Gb link locally on a switch and break out the
VLANs there. In our own situation, we host and manage the fan out
switches and terminate the reseller link in them.

  -  Barry

> I see this happening more and more for us though.
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> Paul on the behalf of Phoenix-IX www.Phoenix-IX.net
>

> -----Original Message----- From: ixpmanager-bounces at inex.ie

INEX Operations

Mob: +353 86 801 7669
Tel: +353  1 685 4220

| Open Source Solutions Ltd.    | INEX Operations Team                |
| Lynx House Old Church Road,   | Internet Neutral Exchange           |
| Lower Kilmacud Road,          | Association, 4027 Kingswood Road,   |
| Stillorgan, Co Dublin.        | Citywest Business Campus, Dublin 24 |
| http://www.opensolutions.ie/  | http://www.inex.ie/                 |