[ixpmanager] Getting SNMP working at install time

Andy Linton asjl at nsrc.org
Tue Dec 2 22:55:43 GMT 2014

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Barry O'Donovan <barry.odonovan at inex.ie>
wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> Working backwards:
>
>  On the page [Switch and Switch Port Management] there are
>> instructions about using the OSS_SNMP library. I've grabbed that from
>> github but there's no clear instruction about how to integrate it
>> with the IXP Manager toolkit.
>>

> No need to worry about this. If you installed IXP Manager via the
> instructions, you should already have it via Git submodules. It'll be in
> library/OSS_SNMP/.

Yep, found that.

>  I should add that I'm seeing:
>>
>> nsrc at gonix:/usr/local/ixp/bin$ sudo ./ixptool.php -a
>> switch-cli.snmp-poll
>>
> > First time polling of ixp-sw2 with SNMP request to ixp-sw2
> > ERROR: OSS_SNMP exception polling ports for ixp-sw2 by SNMP
>
> Okay, so OSS_SNMP is installed and working but it's flaking out for some
> reason. Can you:

And I found the problem. I'd part added the switches by hand and then when
I ran the SNMP  option (View/edit ports) on the right hand side of the
Switches tab it said SNMP wasn't available. So I deleted the hand inserted
stuff and polled using SNMP and it all came good.

a) tell us the switch make and model;

The switches are actually Cisco 3725s running under GNS3/Dynamips :-) I'm
building a teaching model with the attached layout for work I do with NSRC
on promoting IXPs in developing regions. I was in Samoa last week working
on such a beast and I've been taking to the Vanuatu Internet Exchange and
the Philippine Open IX about the virtues of something like IXP Manager.

The IXP Manager is the VM called gonix

I now have MRTG graphs of the non existent traffic and I'll work through
the rest of the config.

I'll almost certainly be back with more questions!