[ixpmanager] Getting IXP Manager Sflow integration up and running

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Thu Oct 17 15:14:06 IST 2013

On 17/10/2013 17:03, Thorleif Wiik [BCIX] wrote:
> now on IXP Manager version 3.5.4 p2p stats are working :-)

w00t!

> To make it work for me I had to comment out
>
> ;sflow.rrd.rrdcached.sock = unix:/var/run/rrdcached.sock
>
> in application/configs/application.ini
>
> as I also had set
>
> sflow_rrdcached = 0
>
> in /usr/local/etc/ixpmanager.conf

ah, right.

rrdcached is strongly advised as your network grows.  I dunno how many RRDs
you're generating, but we have:

> sflow:/data/ixpmatrix> find . -name \*.rrd | wc -l
>    25436

Without rrdcached, linux is unable to keep up with the i/o.  FreeBSD can
keep up, but the machine slows down quite a lot.  With freebsd + rrdcached,
we can actually deploy several other VMs on that particular box without any
performance problems.