[ixpmanager] Change peering address

Rob Lister rob at lonap.net
Wed Oct 9 18:45:45 IST 2013

Yes, understood.

Rolling out the portal and other activities has caused a slew or requests and it has caused the members to look at their information and want to change any incorrect or out of date information.

The member concerned changed their domain.

The helpdesk ticket I received was along the lines of, "Hmm, I have changed the NOC and contact/billing info in the portal, but can't see where I change the peering address."

Also the mailing list stuff went a bit wrong and I had to fix that. I think it didn't delete the old contacts from the mailing list.

We have lots of noc@ and peering@ addresses on the mailing lists, but the only way for members to manage their subscriptions via the portal is to make a fake contact for their peering@ address.  So then they can change it, but not the address we use for their member details. We don't encourage members to change the information in mailman, because we need to check they aren't unsubscribing the only remaining contact from the list. We have a script which tries to check that there is at least one subscription per member, which needs to be translated into the portal somehow.

So, some inconsistencies need to be addressed here before our next activity of encouraging members to check their details and mailing list subscriptions are correct.

We really, really, really need some "generic form" capability within the portal, so we can add basic order/cancellation/upgrade forms, even if it doesn't do anything more clever than pre-fill the correct information and send an e-mail to us. This will mean we can take a bunch of old stuff away and use only the member portal rather than things being scattered over two web sites.

For example, to enable a reseller to tell us about a new resold customer, we have a lovely portal for them to login to, but then they have to go to a nasty form on the old web site, is the only way at present for them to order a new resold customer connection.

We have now installed our shiny new servers, and we are almost ready to try the peering manager, flow tools/route server stuff, should be exciting!

See you in Helsinki!

Rob

--
Robert Lister