[ixpmanager] Change peering address

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Wed Oct 9 07:29:13 IST 2013

Rob,

On 07/10/13 16:16, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 04/10/2013 18:50, Rob Lister wrote:
>> I'd like to know how it's possible to modify the form so that the member
>> can change their peering@ details, and also see/change the peering
>> policy field.
>>
>> It sounds easily doable, just don't know the fields I need to add to the
>> form.
>
> This is on the todo list:
>
> https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/issues/32

It is indeed on a number of todo lists!

There are three things that are bumping it down:

a) I want to take a long hard look at the customer dashboard and how
things are organised. And I want to do this before I added some add /
edit functionality to the members;

b) itches that need to be scratched move up the todo list. LONAP has
about 2x the number of members as INEX. Now, in INEX, when I add up the
number of change requests we get into the helpdesk for customer details
such as NOC / peering contact details (which are all aliases such as
noc@ and peering@ anyway), I come up with a very very low number. Unless
your members are particularly active in changing these details, 2 x a
low number is still a low number. I.e. this isn't itchy!

c) from experience, adding this functionality will not stop the request
coming to the helpdesk first anyway. Any when it does, I suspect we are
all more likely to "just do it" for customer service sake rather than
telling the member to do it themselves via the portal.

There are also quite a few itches in here:

https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/blob/master/IDEAS

None of this is to say we won't do it, we will absolutely do this. It's
just to try and explain how things take priority.

It's also not to say that you can't skip (a) and try to implement
yourself (the code will still be good post (a)). If you want to get your
hands dirty, let's have a sit down in Euro-IX and work through it?