[ixpmanager] Update from INEX

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Wed May 22 11:01:31 IST 2013

Hi all,

We tend to be a little quite about what we're doing in INEX with
respect to IXP Manager on this list and I wanted to give you all a
quick update.

First off, we gave an IXP Manager Update presentation at the EIX
session at RIPE66 here in Dublin which can be viewed at:

https://ripe66.ripe.net/archives/video/1225/

One of the big announcements we made was that LONAP has decided to
roll IXP Manager out within their IXP and for their membership. As
part of this, they have sponsored development of new features and
improvements that they require which is great for the project and all
of the work to date has been committed to the master branch on GitHub.

Some of this includes:

* Contact Groups - http://git.io/5VHeng
* Contact / User management improvements - http://git.io/P9ehdg
* Customer / member notes - http://git.io/QX5POg

Current work in progress is the addition of switches and switch ports
via SNMP polling in a switch agnostic way (using OSS_SNMP -
http://git.io/iQYEOg - a PHP SNMP library and a small plug!). There
are already some live features for this - see http://git.io/7ZPmUw -
but the final version will make IXP Manager switch vendor agnostic and
provide much more robust and featureful switch and switch port
management tools.

One of the main goals of the LONAP deployment will be to beef up the
installation documentation for graphing and other areas that are
lacking. In INEX, we always had the infrastructure and IXP Manager is
an evolution of an evolution of an older CRUD admin tool so we never
had a "greenfield site" for an installation which is why the
documentation is so poor.

One think I'm not happy about right now is schema changes and how to
manage that. It's not quite as easy as it sounds which is why
Doctrine2 haven't developed a migration framework as they had with
Doctrine1. There is something new there now which I'll review but, in
the short term, the CHANGELOG ( http://git.io/BBALuA ) is the place to
look. All versions are tagged so you should upgrade one version at a time.

 - Barry

- --

INEX Operations

| Open Source Solutions Ltd.    | INEX Operations Team                |
| Lynx House Old Church Road,   | Internet Neutral Exchange           |
| Lower Kilmacud Road,          | Association, 4027 Kingswood Road,   |
| Stillorgan, Co Dublin.        | Citywest Business Campus, Dublin 24 |
| http://www.opensolutions.ie/  | http://www.inex.ie/                 |