[ixpmanager] update-l2database.pl not updating database

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Sun Dec 15 21:45:19 GMT 2013

> On 15 Dec 2013, at 21:15, Brian Thompson <brian.thompson at iovation.com> wrote:
> root at portal:/usr/local/ixp# /usr/local/bin/update-l2database.pl --debug --vlan 998
> DEBUG: processing NWAX-Inband
> cannot read dot1dBasePortIfIndex from NWAX-Inband at /usr/local/bin/update-l2database.pl line 166.
>
> NWAX-Inband is a Cisco WS-C4948 we have added to handle our copper and peering.

Cisco switches don't support sflow at all, which means that if you use it for peering service, your sflow stats will be wrong.  Well actually the N3064 supports sflow but that's the only C product which does.

Separately, update-l2database doesn't support Cisco kit either so I'll have to take a look at this.

> So it looks like the code isn't detecting that it is a Cisco.

Cisco boxes don't support the qbridge mib. Instead they provide per-vlan bridge info using snmp vlan at community instead of community. This is a really ugly hack because it means you end up with timeouts if you pre-emptively attempt to use this community. There's a reference to this at the top of the .pl file but it isn't elaborated on.