[ixpmanager] Ubuntu 22.04/24.04?

Barry O'Donovan (INEX) barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Fri Mar 29 12:09:19 GMT 2024

Hi guys,

in terms of Ubuntu / PHP shipping defaults:

20.04 -> php 7.4 as standard
22.04 -> php 8.1 as standard
24.04 -> php 8.3 as standard (not released yet)

We generally peg a major release of IXP Manager to a recommended version
of Ubuntu LTS and a specific version of PHP and provide an install
script like [1].

These are by no means prescriptive and people can use any version of any
operating system they wish that will run a compatible version of PHP.

For v6 we recommended 20.04 (as it was the latest LTS at the time) and
required 8.0 (also latest at the time). However, 20.04 shipped with 7.4
so we used Ondřej Surý's PPA [2] to lift that to v8.0 in the install script.

I have 8.0 / 8.1 / 8.2 / 8.3 all installed on my dev platform and switch
between them as appropriate for the project. When working on IXP Manager
I often forget to 'switch down' to 8.0 and so there should be no issue
running IXP Manager v6 on any version of PHP >= 8.0 and if there is just
let me know and we can fix quickly.

The composer.json specifies the PHP version as "^8.0" which means >= 8.0
and < 9.0.

Also the composer.json has a setting "platform": { "php": "8.0.0" }"
which means assume the platform is 8.0 even if it is >= 8.1 - this is
really a guardrail for developers to ensure that all thirdparty packages
installed / updated via 'composer update' are compatible with 8.0 even
if you are developing on 8.2 for example.

The other consideration is the Laravel framework we use and what version
of PHP it requires. The php 8.0 compatible versions are now EOL for example.

We'll have one more significant v6.x release shortly and will then move
v6 to security fix / bug fix only and release v7 for Ubuntu 24.04 on PHP
8.3 and Laravel 11.

Let me know if there's any questions on that,

  - Barry

[1] https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/tree/master/tools/installers
[2] https://launchpad.net/~ondrej/+archive/ubuntu/php

> Richard Laager via ixpmanager <mailto:ixpmanager at inex.ie>
> 29 March 2024 at 01:31
>

> Is this related?
> https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/issues/888
>
> Pete Ashdown via ixpmanager <mailto:ixpmanager at inex.ie>
> 28 March 2024 at 19:57
> I believe there was an issue with PHP version on 22.04. Yes, I tried.

> 28 March 2024 at 19:51
>
> I’m not running on either version yet, but I’m interested. So I’ll
> ask: have you tried? What problems are you running into?
>
> Pete Ashdown via ixpmanager <mailto:ixpmanager at inex.ie>
> 28 March 2024 at 19:24
> Is there a method of running IXP Manager on Ubuntu 22.04 and
> subsequently 24.04 yet?

INEX Operations