[ixpmanager] Broken aggregated graphs when removing old Switches

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Wed Apr 17 15:13:02 IST 2024

Hi Mauricio

Mauricio Oviedo via ixpmanager wrote on 15/04/2024 05:19:
> However, I didn’t inmmediatly marked the old switches as inactive, and
> some member ports that were no longer connected were still associated
> to the old Switches. As a result the member ports and switch MRTG
> graphs were OK, but the aggregated overall graph did not graph anymore.
>
> After a long weekend I found these 2 posts where I got pointers about
> deactivating the old switches and do some clean up on the unused ports:
>
> https://www.inex.ie/pipermail/ixpmanager/2021-April/003183.html
>
> https://www.inex.ie/pipermail/ixpmanager/2019-July/002297.html

Yeah. This is one of those situations where if the data source is
incorrect, there's a risk of running into problems :(

> Here a couple of questions:
>
>  1. Why the aggregated graph stops working if a Switch or port cannot
>     be polled by SNMP?

This is how MRTG works.  If you specify data endpoints which don't
exist, then MRTG doesn't handle aggregate graphs.  It's a known problem
with MRTG.

>  1. Given that the member and switch graphs were OK and the
>     information exists, is it possible to rebuild the aggregated graph
>     to include the missing data? (Around 30hrs)

This isn't easy. It's possible to add up the various columns in the mrtg
log files, but you'll likely find that the 5m maximum in+out figures
will be incorrect due to how mrtg calculates them. The average in/out
figures will be correct though.

>  1. What would be the recommended procedure to remove a Switch without
>     loosing historical graphs? (Right now the switches are inactive,
>     but still in IXP Manager)

Two options here: you can replace a switch and use the same switch
profile, or you can leave them defined as active in IXP Manager, but
de-select the "poll" button.

>  1. What would be the recommended procedure to upgrade a member with
>     3x 10G ports in LAG to a 100G port, without loosing historical graphs?

If you delete the 3 physical ports in the virtualinterface, then add the
new 100G port on the new switch, it should keep the aggregate intact.1

Nick