[ixpmanager] Strange BIRD log -> Filter (unnamed) did not return accept nor reject. Make up your mind

Marinos Dimolianis mdimolianis at noc.grnet.gr
Thu Sep 7 16:05:13 IST 2023

Hi all,
Apparently the problem was the following.
We are using Birdseye to calculate the number of RPKI Valid, Invalid, Unknown prefixes and also for the IRRDB accepted or rejected.
 We noticed the following:
https://github.com/inex/birdseye/blob/master/app/Bird.php#L110
birdseye/app/Bird.php at master · inex/birdseye
github.com

In the case Birdseye counts prefixes using large communities it employs the following filter:
        $routesBlob = $this->run('show route all filter { if bgp_large_community ~ [( ' . ((int)$x) . ', ' . ((int)$y) . ', * )] then accept;} protocol ' . $protocol );
This filter is an unnamed filter that does not include an else condition for rejecting the prefixes if the condition is not matched.
We tested that in our case and it seems to work.
Best Regards,
Marinos