[ixpmanager] BFD on Route Servers

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Thu Jun 8 02:36:12 IST 2023

MICE has long enabled passive BFD (Bidirectional Forwarding Detection,
RFC 5880) on our route servers. Here, "passive" means the route servers
will speak BFD to a customer, but only if the customer initiates it.
Accordingly, it is NOT necessary to track a per-customer setting about
whether they want BFD.

We converted our route servers to use the configuration generated by IXP
Manager. IXP Manager does not support BFD, so we added it using a skin.
My question here is whether there is desire to see that upstreamed.

I've started a draft PR:
https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/pull/854

The first commit in there has been submitted as a separate PR and can be
ignored for this discussion. The relevant changes are in the second
commit, currently:
https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/pull/854/commits/1c684aa7a662480af2930c2e525a09a95c717e1c

As you can see, the changes themselves are trivial. However, if this is
going to be merged into IXP Manager, there are some important design
questions:

Is BFD going to be enabled everywhere? If not, it needs an option. Is
that option on or off by default? If on, should it be set to off for
existing Routers on migration?

Should the interval be customizable? Should the multiplier?

--
Richard