[ixpmanager] How you handle MLAG in IXP Manager?

Barry O'Donovan (INEX) barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Sun Oct 16 09:37:13 IST 2022

Yeah, pretty much what Jasper said.

MLAG isn't supported but it's not prevented in the UI. There may be
rough edges I'm not aware of (as we don't use them).

**In my own view** MLAGs present a number of issues:

* Additional logic complexity that it would cause IXP Manager development.

* MLAGs can cause a false sense of capacity security - i.e. 2 x 10Gb
MLAG ports pushing 14Gbps of traffic. If you lose a switch, you'll start
dropping 4Gbps.

* Certainly the member might be happy with the risk but one key selling
point of IXPs is that we manage our member links to try and ensure
sufficient capacity is provisioned. There's a reputation risk here with
multiple MLAG links and a buggy switch for example.

* Some switches require clustering for MLAG support and in both IXP and
ISP environments, we try to avoid this. There's a better win for
provisioning simplicity using automated provisioning systems rather than
clustering imho.

* Additional problem diagnosis / resolution complexity.

My own view on this is that if the member wants:

- resiliency: then two links each with their own IP address, ideally on
different switches on the IXP end and routers on the member end.

- capacity: then LAGs rather than MLAGs. MLAGs do not solve the capacity
problem but rather make it worse with the false sense of security
mentioned above.

- both: then different LAGs with their own IP address!

Cheers,
  - Barry