[ixpmanager] Upgrade from 4x to 6x

Barry O'Donovan (INEX) barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Fri Jan 21 17:01:57 GMT 2022

Kyle Spencer via ixpmanager wrote on 21/01/2022 16:49:
> As the title says, we would like to upgrade from version 4x to 6x.
 >
> We're happy to start fresh and re-enter the data manually but we're
> keen to preserve the years of MRTG data we've accumulated.

The MRTG file naming schema changed at some point so your best bet is to
upgrade rather than fresh install.

See the video tutorials here:

https://www.ixpmanager.org/support/tutorials

and proceed as follows:

1. 'Legacy Upgrades (v4.9.3 to v5.7.0)' under Workshops

2. then upgrade v5.7 to v5.8 via:
https://docs.ixpmanager.org/install/upgrade-v5/

3. then the video tutorial '4. Upgrade from v5.8.0 to v6.0.0' under
Course #1 on the same page

4. and finally upgrade v6 to current via:
https://docs.ixpmanager.org/install/upgrading/

You're quite far behind with v4.x so you'll need to invest some time
(and take backups!) but the process should be quicker than a fresh install.

NB: I would strongly recommend priming yourself before any of the above
by watching the general upgrading tutorial called 'Upgrading IXP Manager
(within the v5.x releases)' on the same video tutorials page.

  - Barry

> We run a separate MRTG server (i.e. it's decoupled from IXP Manager).
> Would a fresh installation of the new version smoothly re-integrate
> with MRTG (e.g. by using the same internal references for each
> customer)?
>
> If not, how much of a nightmare would the upgrade process be?
>
> Regards,
> Kyle Spencer

INEX