[ixpmanager] Issue getting birdseye up

Barry O'Donovan (INEX) barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Mon Apr 11 10:16:15 IST 2022

Hi Paul,

Paul Emmons via ixpmanager wrote on 11/04/2022 03:00:

> I'm trying to get Birdseye deployed On Ubuntu 20.02 LTS.   Got
> lighttpd responding but having an issue getting birdseye running.
>
> *I am getting access restricted when I run from command line:
> *
>
> root at ric-as112:/srv/birdseye# /usr/bin/sudo /srv/birdseye/bin/birdc -2
> -s /var/run/bird/bird-ric-as112-ipv4.ctl ?
> BIRD 2.0.7 ready.
> Access restricted*
> *

"Access restricted" is expected as Birdseye runs the birdc command in
restricted mode (read only) as a security measure.

> **
>
> *Do I need to setup a cache key?*

No.

> *Cant pull up the api:*
>
> curl -v http://as112.ric.nix-ops.net/api/status
>

> < HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error

Okay, so 500 from the web server is what we need to track down. Looking
at your env:

> # To query Bird securely, we use a wrapper script
> BIRDC="/usr/bin/sudo /srv/birdseye/bin/birdc -2 -s /usr/local/etc/bird"

Your -s here looks wrong. It should be the full path and name of your
socket. E.g.

BIRDC="/usr/bin/sudo /srv/birdseye/bin/birdc -2 -s
/var/run/bird/bird-rc1-lan1-ipv4.ctl"

INEX