[ixpmanager] EuroIX and PeeringDB exporters

Pim van Pelt pim at ipng.nl
Fri Jul 30 01:07:10 IST 2021

Hoi Arnold!

Thanks for helping this along.

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 1:57 AM Arnold Nipper <arnold at nipper.de> wrote:

> may I suggest to make the export configurable. E.g. like
>
> Status                  Export  Export Name
> Connected               yes     active
> Awaiting X-Connect      no
> Quarantine              yes     inactive
>

>From my experience, this may still trigger IX-F import alerts. From my
sampleset of 4 (a few small IXPs, and SwissIX), the IXP will make an IP
assignment and inform the member "hey welcome to IXP $x, your port is $P
and your addresses are <$a>". Enthusiastic members then go update their
peeringdb entry by themselves.

So as soon as the list of $a is given to the member, we risk the state of
IXPManager not exporting IX-F, but the member having updated their entry.
This means, in practice, that as soon as the member exists in the
IXPManager database, the IX-F export should reflect an export of 'inactive'
or 'active', not not 'no-export', because that will trigger the peeringdb
importer escalation.However, if the member doesn't exist at all at
IXPManager, but they did claim an IP in peeringdb, that does sound like a
legitimate escalation to me.

So I would rewrite your truth table as:
Connected, yes, active
*, yes, inactive