[ixpmanager] Discrepancies between sflow hosts

Ian Chilton ian at lonap.net
Sat Feb 20 11:39:27 GMT 2021

Hi Nick,

On 20 Feb 2021, at 11:12, Nick Hilliard (INEX) wrote:
> that sounds like your problem then.

Yep - the drops are because “srcvli: 0 dstvli: 0”.

What is a VLI? - I can’t seem to find a definition!

…but it appears to mean the lack of a known MAC.

We have a lot of drops for a private vlan (which we don’t seem to
discover macs for) and some others for our main peering vlan, which I
need to dig in to further.

> sflow-to-rrd-handler needs an accurate mapping of what MAC addresses
> are assigned to what port (and consequently which ixp participant).

Yep…. but are you able to give a bit more background on why?

It uses the MAC to know the src and dest so it can build the P2P graphs?

Hopefully this isn’t a stupid question, but why can’t it use srcip &
dstip which are more assigned and therefore more definitive?

And even if flows are not used in the P2P data because a MAC couldn’t
be matched - surely they should still be counted for the more overall
graphs - i.e the per vlan/protocol ones.

Thanks,

Ian