[ixpmanager] Discrepancies between sflow hosts

Ian Chilton ian at lonap.net
Thu Feb 18 22:37:55 GMT 2021

Hi,

I’m working on replacing our old sflow host, which has been working
for many years but has grown outdated - an old Debian release, old
version of the IXP Manager scripts, sflowtool etc.

I’ve deployed a new host and got everything working.

This evening I was hoping to switch over. I added a 2nd sflow
destination to all of our switches.

I have a test IXP Manager instance pointing to the new sflow host and
our current instance pointing to the old host.

However, on the P2P graphs, the values coming from the new host are much
lower than the old host - up to 50%. This is reflected in both the Cur
values and the graphs themselves.

I confirmed using tcpdump that there was sflow packets arriving from
every edge box.

I wondered if it was because I’d enabled journaling on rrdcached on
the new host, so I disabled that.

I removed the new sflow destination from the switches and instead added
a new sflowtool fanout destination on the old host, pointing it to port
6343 on the new host.

I still observe the same behaviour.

Anyone had anything similar? - or have any tools or ideas to help
analyse the data and what might be going wrong?

Thanks,

Ian