[ixpmanager] Test instance of IXP Manager

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Tue Feb 16 00:45:35 GMT 2021

Ian Chilton wrote on 16/02/2021 00:11:
> I was thinking we could also run some emulated switches on GNS3 or similar.

we have a GNS3 environment which ~mirrors our production environment -
this is where the automation stuff is developed.  There are obviously
differences in how virtual switches run, which means that the
configuration that we push through is slightly different, but lots of
elements of it work the same.

>> We occasionally run dev versions (r/o) off production switches
>
> With what database? - multiple instances on the same db, or a copy? >
> How do you ensure it’s R/O?

different DB.

> Does stock IXP Manager itself ever write to switches, or just your automation?

all snmp is r/o.  The only thing that writes is the automation.

> This is a slight tangent, but it also makes me think about the publicly accessible web server having access to the network with the switches (and other devices?) on....
>
> What functions connect to switches? - is that only done from cron jobs?

lots of parts of the UI connect to switches, e.g. live port polling,
etc.  This can't easily be separated

> I wonder whether that part can easily be run on the sflow or mrtg hosts which already have access to the “management LAN” so the IXP Manager frontend host doesn’t need to?

not within the current design framework, no.