[ixpmanager] Recommended Devices for an IXP with Sflow Feature

Ahmed Al-Saruri ahmed.alsaruri at x3me.net
Thu Aug 19 18:00:35 IST 2021

Hello All,

Thank you very much for your responses and suggestions.

We were previously working with Huawei s6720 series which was working fine
with sflow but their new series S6730 is not supporting sflow anymore.

We are looking for budget devices if they will have good functionality and
support, but we might consider other options as well.

I see that the suggestions are around F5, Extreme, Brocade and Dell
switches.

Could you please let me know if possible how many years have you been using
these devices and if there are any discretion or cons when using them?

I believe the main points we see in a potential device is high port
densities supporting 10G and 100G ports, sflow support, port security and
L2 ACL.

Also if any has used Nokia devices, their devices support cflowd. Did you
work on this and found an easy way to extract the same samples like sflow?

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 11:14 PM Christopher Malayter <mustang at terahertz.net>
wrote:

> Depending on what you’re trying to do, and what your budget is…if you’re
> going the Extreme/Brocade route.  Low budget: MLX/CER Higher Budget:
> SLX9540/9740.
>
> I’d avoid the CES simply due to scaling issues.
>
> We’ve had fairly decent luck with the Extreme’s, other than the SLX 9850s.
>
> -Chris
>

> On Aug 18, 2021, at 3:46 PM, Paul Emmons <paul at ninja-ix.net> wrote:
>
> We use brocades on the past. Mlx,ces add turboiron all supported sflow.
>  Also the newer Dell os10 switches work well.
>
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2021, 4:02 AM Ahmed Al-Saruri <ahmed.alsaruri at x3me.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello Team,
>>
>> Finding a good switch for the IXP is becoming a bit hard since some of
>> the devices like Nokia do not seem to be supporting sflow features.
>>
>> My question here is  what type of devices do you use other than Huawei
>> and Arista that supports sflow and is a good option for an IXP?
>>
>> Also if you have some device that does not support sflow, is there some
>> work around using other flow protocols to get ASN-to-ASN traffic graphs?

Warm Regards,
Ahmed Alsaruri