[ixpmanager] Recommended Devices for an IXP with Sflow Feature

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Wed Aug 18 12:25:08 IST 2021

Ahmed Al-Saruri wrote on 18/08/2021 12:01:
> Hello Team,
>
> Finding a good switch for the IXP is becoming a bit hard since some of
> the devices like Nokia do not seem to be supporting sflow features.
>
> My question here is  what type of devices do you use other than Huawei
> and Arista that supports sflow and is a good option for an IXP?
>
> Also if you have some device that does not support sflow, is there some
> work around using other flow protocols to get ASN-to-ASN traffic graphs?

Hi Ahmed,

You can check out what other IXPs use here:

https://ixpdb.euro-ix.net/en/ixpdb/switches/

Note that some switch network operating systems "support sflow", but not
very well.  E.g. they might not support enabling / disabling sflow on a
per-interface basis, or might not provide the ability to select ingress
vs egress sflow.