[ixpmanager] MRTG Errors

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sun Apr 18 13:44:47 IST 2021

Hi Marc, Chris,

Marc Bruyere wrote on 18/04/2021 12:53:
> However when we check the config, we encounter the following error:
>
> root at pc:/# env LANG=C /usr/bin/mrtg /tmp/mrtg.cfg.candidate
> ERROR: CFG Error in “maxbytes[ixp001-bits]“, file tmp/mrtg.cfg.candidate line 63: 0 must be a Number bigger than 0.
>
> We have 3 switches configured through SNMP, and then some older ones added
> through the database method that we are using to store member details
> before they are migrated to the new switches.
>
> These have been configured as not active and not polling in IXP Manager.
> I have also attached the mrtg.cfg file that we generated.

there are no switch targets in the candidate mrtg file, so the aggregate
maxbytes for your main infrastructure is configured with an empty list,
which is why MRTG is showing the error.

This looks like a problem with the switch definition configuration in
IXP-Manager. Are you seeing a list of ports when you do a live port
poll?  What hardware / software are you using on the switches?

IXP Manager doesn't ever write to switches via SNMP, so it should be
safe to poll these before you put IXP-M into production.