[ixpmanager] ?= problem with BIrdEye v1.2

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Wed Sep 16 07:22:10 IST 2020

Hi Basil,

bbalaawi at mtit.gov.ps wrote on 16/09/2020 00:13:

> root at ixpmanager:/srv/ixpmanager# *curl -v http://rs1-lan1-ipv4.ps-ix.ps/api/status*

> < HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

Until this works, IXP Manager won't. You need to be able to curl /
browse to http://rs1-lan1-ipv4.ps-ix.ps/api/status to be sure that
Birdseye is installed and configured correctly before trying to
integrate with IXP Manager.

> root at bird:~# *netstat -lpn | grep php*
>
> tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:9000          0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN      866/php-fpm: master

The recommended installation at:

https://github.com/inex/birdseye

suggests to install:

apt-get install php-cgi php-mbstring php-xml unzip lighttpd

only. We don't suggest or provide instructions for php-fpm which is
probably overkill for this application.

> root at bird:/usr/local/sbin# cat /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf

On this you seem to have deviated from our bare bones version here:

https://github.com/inex/birdseye/blob/v1.0.3/data/configs/lighttpd.conf

It's important to note that our use case is that this API was not
designed to be publicly available. Rather it would be run on an internal
private network and fronted by one of the looking glass frontends (in
your case IXP Manager) that consume this API, thereby providing multiple
levels of API parameter validation.

You you need to start with our bare bones version and get it working.
You can then incrementally layer on additional configuration if you so
choose. But, again, start with the basic known-to-work version.

Specifically:

> #url.redirect = ()
> #url.rewrite-once = (
> #
>   "^/(css|img|js|fonts)/.*\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|swf|avi|mpg|mpeg|mp3|flv|ico|css|js|woff|ttf)$" => "$0",
> #        "^/(favicon\.ico|robots\.txt|sitemap\.xml)$" => "$0",

This will never work. The redirect is a mandatory requirement for
php-cgi to work.

Note also that you do not /have/ to use lighttpd. We recommend it as
this is designed to run locally on a route server and lighttpd is ideal
for this. You can use Apache / Nginx if you're more comfortable with
those. Again, remembering that this service should only be available on
internal management networks.

Hope that helps,