[ixpmanager] Blackhole service on IXP manager route servers (RTBH)

Leon Meßner l.messner at physik.tu-berlin.de
Fri Oct 30 21:29:00 GMT 2020

Dear Shahab,

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 21:56:33 +0330
Shahab Vahabzadeh <me at shahabv.com> wrote:

> Dear Leon,
> Thanks for your help, in
> $IXPROOT/resources/views/api/v4/router/server/bird2 inside which file we
> need to change next_hop for blackhole community or even specific community?

if you run seperate routeservers for blackholing, what Behnam talked
about, there is no technical need for a BGP community to set a
blackhole next-hop. If you want to do it on your regular routeservers,
there are a lot of ways to do it, thanks to birds configuration style.

Considering i'm not using the stock templates and not using bird2, my
approach would be to do

define mybhcommunity = (65535,666);

<?php if( $t->router->protocol() == 6 ): ?>
define mybhip = SOMEPEERINGLANIP6;
<?php else: ?>
define mybhip = SOMEPEERINGLANIP4;
<?php endif; ?>

and in neighbors.foil.php for your IXP's skin:

filter f_export_as<?= $int['autsys'] ?>
{
# ... stuff
if mybhcommunity ~ bgp_community then
    bgp_next_hop = mybhip;

# ... things
}

Perhaps others have already implemented it running bird2 and can give
more informed tips.

Regards,
Leon