[ixpmanager] Broadcast Traffic

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Tue Nov 10 17:31:30 GMT 2020

Basil Elbalaawi wrote on 08/11/2020 12:54:
> I have one question about  Broadcast Traffic where I think it is not
> allowed to be transmitted on the “IXP” switch Device except for ARP. So
> there is Upon initial connection and subsequently if they deem
> necessary, the partner may place a Participant's port into a separate
> "quarantine" VLAN or stop the neighbor peering, for diagnostic purposes,
> or to verify policy-compliant operation. This action shall restore
> Participant's port to full functionality immediately upon resolution of
> the triggering issue. My question!
>
> How can it be tested for the Broadcast Traffic at our IXP , or which
> command can be used about it with example , where i think you mentioned
> it about the Quarantine Route collector to do this , if you please
> explain how to do it to prevent the  Broadcast Traffic?

in fact that there are different types of broadcast traffic, e.g.

- link-local traffic: traffic which goes from one switch port to another
and no further (loopback frames, LLDP, etc)
- broadcast traffic
- multicast traffic
- unknown unicast traffic

For a quarantine LAN, the best option is to use RX port monitoring to
detect all incoming frames on the new network port.  This is the only
option that shows you all frames, not just Bcast/Ucast/Mcast traffic.

On a production IXP, it's often a good idea to run a broadcast frame
collector, e.g. ixp-watch (https://github.com/euro-ix/IXP-Watch).  This
will monitor for ongoing problems.