[ixpmanager] hardware specification recommended

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Fri Nov 6 22:33:37 GMT 2020

Basil Elbalaawi wrote on 06/11/2020 21:50:
> Thank you for the information.
>
> But which preferred switch adaptation with ixp manager , Nexus 9500
> Series or OmniSwitch 9900 (*Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise*)? or any
> switch supported by ixp manager application ?

What equipment you use is really a decision for you.  If I remember
correctly, there is one IXP in europe which uses N9500 kit, but I'm not
aware of any using the Alcatel omniswitch series.

I would recommend deep buffer switches with vxlan support and full
support for third party transceivers.

You can see what sort of switches other IXPs use at:

https://ixpdb.euro-ix.net/en/ixpdb/switches/

There's a summary on page 17 of the 2018 / 2019 Euro-IX report.

> https://www.euro-ix.net/media/filer_public/d5/84/d584495f-b8ae-4f24-b589-7b9efed3594b/ixp_report_2018-2019-final.pdf

About 10 years ago, INEX moved from using chassis switches to using
top-of-rack switches which are great because they're much cheaper to buy
and run, and they provide exactly the right functionality that we need
for an IXP.  You can see what models we use in the IXP DB.