[ixpmanager] hardware specification recommended

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Fri Nov 6 12:38:33 GMT 2020

Hi Basil,

We would recommend 2x route servers and 1x route collector.

The route servers provide bilateral peering, and we view this as part of
the IXP core infrastructure, so we run two of these.  If you have two,
it means you can run maintenance on one while keeping the other in
service.  I.e. the overall peering service will be more reliable.

The route collector is for debugging, and can be used by organisations
who don't want to connect to the route servers.

We would also recommend 2x RPKI servers for the same reason.

You should have a quarantine route collector to test new connections
coming into the IXP.

The sflow VM will need fast disks.  SSD is best.  This will only become
a problem if you have lots of participants at the IXP, e.g. 50+

The RPKI VM scale has nothing to do with the size of the IXP, so you're
best to ask the Routinator people about that.

INEX uses approximately the following configuration:

*cpu*

*memory*

rs1

4

8G

rs2

4

8G

rc1

2

2G

quarantine

1

2G

monitor

4

4G

sflow

2

4G

ixpmanager

2

4G

database

4

8G

rpki01

2

2G

rpki02

2

2G

The physical hardware we run is 2x Dell r730 (Intel E5-2630v4, 10core
servers, 96G memory).

These VMs are mostly idle. The Hypervisor CPU load is usually around
10%.  We run the route servers on physically separate hardware (Dell
R320), just in case we have a problem with the primary management
hypervisors.

The important thing is that everyone's configuration will be different.
These are all VMs, so if you need to add or remove memory / CPUs, that
can be done very easily.

Nick