[ixpmanager] Spikes on MRTG graphs

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Sat Mar 28 14:42:16 GMT 2020

Andrei Dinu wrote on 28/03/2020 13:06:
> We also face these issues at Interlan IX. From time to time we normalize
> the data using https://github.com/mhagander/rrdclean .
>
> The tool analyzes the values inside the RRD database and you can select
> a cutoff point. All values above the cutoff point are modified to the
> value specified.

automated tools can help for RRD, but the underlying problem relates to
the difficulty in accurately collecting counter data from networking
devices. Counter overflows and underflows are a fact of life and it's
hard for third party packages like MRTG to handle situations where snmp
returns values which are obviously wrong from a semantic point of view,
but syntactically correct.  There is some sanity checking in there, but
the more ports deployed, the more likely you are to see weird entries in
there.