[ixpmanager] Shared Port

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Dec 22 22:37:38 GMT 2020

Justin Wilson (Lists) wrote on 22/12/2020 21:40:
> We are brining up some cache nodes for some various companies on a
> shared VM infrastructure.  This means we have one shared port for the
> VM.  How do I account for this in IXP manager? I want to be able to
> assigned an IX ip to the VM, but it will use the sane port as the VM
> itself.  Can I do this? If so, how do I assign an IP to each entity?

Really what you're doing here is extending the IXP infrastructure inside
the hypervisor.  I.e. the hypervisor switch is becoming an IXP switch.
In theory there's nothing wrong with this except that several of the
standard hypervisors don't support MIB-II for their virtual switch
infrastructure, which means that IXP manager can't really see what's
going on inside the switch.

If your hypervisor supports MIB-II and you can see all of the virtual
interface in SNMP that you want to monitor, then there's no problem
adding it in as a switch.

We solved this by using multi-port ethernet cards and using dedicated
ports for each service.  It's not efficient but it does work.