[ixpmanager] Bird and Communities

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Sat Apr 18 11:13:19 IST 2020

Hi Shahab,

community filtering is already enabled in the default ixp manager route
server template. See page 15 of this presentation:

> https://www.ixpmanager.org/media/2019/inex-afpif-mauritius-rpki-2019-08-22.pdf

INEX's route-server ASN is 43760.  You need to use your 16-bit ASN here.

If you don't have a 16-bit ASN for your route server, you need to apply
for one from the RIPE NCC. 32-bit ASNs will cause you trouble.  You can
use the same ASN for different IXP, i.e. no need to get separate ASNs
for Tehran, Shiraz and Tabriz.

Shahab Vahabzadeh wrote on 17/04/2020 22:24:
> Hello Hello,
> I have bird as route server, I want to know how can I enable
> communities? for example suppose that customer A want to advertise
> prefixes to all except B, what can they do?

They would announce their prefixes with community "0:peer-as-B".

> or customer A want to deny
> advertising to all but to customer C.

Then use both "0:rs-asn" "rs-asn:peer-as-C"

If the customer is using an ASN32, then they will need to use large BGP
communities instead (