[ixpmanager] [RELEASE] V5.5.0 - Member Port Utilisation Reporting

Rob Lister rob at lonap.net
Tue Apr 7 16:19:00 IST 2020

Thanks Barry -

We have some members that just repeatedly have very short spikes in
traffic on an otherwise
underutilised port, for example you'll see some sort of sync or backup
take place in the
middle of the night when they don't care about their port being loaded
for a short time,
then it returns to normal.

They consider this just to be normal traffic rather than anything
anomalous.

We would only really want to contact those members who are persistently
running their ports.
very hot.

Perhaps a compromise might be some ability to acknowledge or make a note
against individual
overloads so they show up in some other colour. "This will always happen
every day at 5am. They don't care."

Flatlining is another behaviour which should be flagged up regardless of
the physical interface
capacity, for example if they are on a resold port, or are limited to 1
or 2G on a 10G port,
or some backhaul capacity in their network can't deliver enough traffic
to their IXP port,
then it'll flatline at a lower rate. The solution to this problem isn't
always that we need to
sell them another port, but perhaps capacity needs to be increased
somewhere else.

I'll open a feature request when I get a few minutes.

Rob

--
Rob Lister
rob at lonap.net