[ixpmanager] Issue with BIRD v2 peering, hold timers expiring.

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Thu Apr 2 21:12:28 IST 2020

Hi Nick,

Nick Zurku wrote on 02/04/2020 18:30:
> We moved away from arouteserver building our route server config, and
> now use the native IXP-Manager configs. *At the same time, we did jump
> to BIRD v2.*

Ah, great 😉

I've heard good things about arouteserver but my consistent advice has
been if you're NOT using IXP Manager, then sure - look at arouteserver.
But, if your are using IXP Manager, then IXP Manager should be
generating your configs. It's all tightly coupled and you get much more
telemetry, monitoring and the looking glass this way.

> Ever since then, we get some hold timer expired sessions drops almost daily.
>
> 2020-03-26 13:04:43 <RMT> pb_0004_as23738: Error: Hold timer expired
> 2020-03-27 23:04:43 <RMT> pb_0002_as20326: Error: Hold timer expired

<snip>

> In the IXP-Manager community's opinion, is BIRD 2.0.7 stable with IXP
> Manager configs and should we be looking into a kernel or hardware issue?

I doubt it - we're running 2.0.6 but that's because we just haven't had
the opportunity to upgrade yet and 2.0.6 has been rock solid for us to date.

I wonder is there a firewall issue or anything going on here? You could
ask on the Bird mailing list but they'll probably as the same questions
I'm going to:

  - could you get a tcpdump if one session from start to collapse?
  - we'd probably also want to see the output of:

netstat -lan
ip addr
ip route

(assuming this is all IPv4)

If you're comfortable posting some of this - you can use:
https://pastebin.ibn.ie/

> As always, thanks for any assistance and thanks to the IXP-Manager team
> for making this amazing platform.

Thanks! 😊

  - Barry