[ixpmanager] [RELEASE] V5.2.0 - PeeringDB OAuth, rfc1997 pass-through, framework upgrade

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Mon Sep 30 14:23:15 IST 2019

We are pleased to announce the release of IXP Manager v5.2.0.

This release adds a bunch of new features and tidies up a number of bugs
/ regressions in the milestone v5.0 and the v5.1 releases. All IX's
running < v5.2.0 are advised to upgrade. Additionally, any IX's that are
still allowing v5 to bed in can now safely upgrade as it has been in
production at a number of exchanges for quite a while now.

Full details including a list of new features:

https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/releases/tag/v5.2.0

One of the biggest new features in v5.2.0 is PeeringDB OAuth support.
This adds the ability to login to IXP Manager via a member's PeeringDB
account.

This is a particularly beneficial feature for members who are members of
many IXPs which use IXP Manager - of which there are over 80 now - as it
means they only need their PeeringDB account to access their portal at
each of those IXPs. It also removes the hurdle for account creation via
the IX operations team or having to find a user within a member's own
organisation with administrative permissions.

The management and operations team at INEX have worked with the team
from PeeringDB on this functionality - with the initial conversations
dating back to early 2017 where we each agreed to develop our respective
parts. The general peering community benefits greatly from this as
PeeringDB now has a publicly available OAuth service and, through our
own work, we have added PeeringDB OAuth client functionally to one of
the more popular OAuth programming libraries.

IXP Manager interacts in a number of ways with PeeringDB [1] and
specific instructions for enabling PeeringDB OAuth with IXP Manager can
be found at [2].

Thanks,
  - Barry, Nick and Yann

[1] https://docs.ixpmanager.org/features/peeringdb/