[ixpmanager] IXP manager development

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Thu Sep 12 09:01:19 IST 2019

Haider Ali wrote on 11/09/2019 17:52:
> Thanks Barry for the help.
> It is written in the documentation that we shouldn´t change the existing
> DB. If we want to change the existing DB or edit existing tables like
> making foreign keys for our new tables etc. Will it be possible or will
> it have benefit people who want to use my product/package later in future?

So the best advise is to not edit the existing database tables. Doing
this will break migrations for people trying to upgrade IXP Manager.

If there's a reasonable schema change required, open a feature request
at https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/issues and we'll look at it /
discuss it there.

For any tables you need for your feature, just create them and try to
follow the advice of 'namespacing' with your package name (xxx_tablename).

Avoid foreign keys for this. There's no real need for FKs are all of IXP
Manager's tables are pretty small in terms of number of rows. The core
tables of course have FKs but there is no need for packages to set up
FKs. If you were planning on relying on something like 'ON DELETE
CASCADE' then this is better handled using events (e.g. a
customer_deleted event). Again, just open a feature request for any
events you may need.