[ixpmanager] some questions re: IXP 5

Athanasios Douitsis aduitsis at noc.ntua.gr
Tue Oct 29 22:18:53 GMT 2019

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 02:48:22PM +0200, Athanasios Douitsis wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> We (GR-IX) have a few questions regarding the upgrade from an existing
> 4.8 installation to version 5.2.
>
> - We have setup the latest BirdsEye in our route servers and have
>   successfully integrated with a test 5.2 installation. The looking
>   glass in our 5.2 installation detects prefixes that are being
>   filtered, by examining their BGP large community. All good as far as
>   we can tell. However, when we look at the "filtered prefixes" tab in
>   any member's page, we see no filtered prefixes. Can we inquire as to
>   which exactly is the interdependency between what is seen in the
>   looking glass and what is seen in the per-member "filtered prefixes"
>   tab? How do we get to see (if possible) the filtered prefixes in the
>   tab?
> - Does the update-l2database.pl script still stand as the way to fill in
>   the dynamic mac addresses in the macaddresses table?  The
>   https://docs.ixpmanager.org/usage/switches/#automated-polling-snmp-updates
>   and the https://docs.ixpmanager.org/features/cronjobs/ pages do not
>   mention it, but https://docs.ixpmanager.org/features/layer2-addresses/
>   does mention it. Running it periodically certainly does not cause
>   trouble.
> - Going from 4.8 to 5.2 using the artisan subcommands to bring the
>   database up to date, does not create the telescope-related tables.
>   What is the recommended way to create them?
> - Likewise, how is the cache table (if one chooses to use a database
>   cache instead of files or memcached) supposed to be created and
>   initialized?
> - This is a trifling matter, but the field last_updated in the routers
>   table will be left NULL if going from 4.8 to 5.2, which will cause a
>   5xx error in the application. We are not sure this is mentioned
>   explicitly in any documentation page.
>
> If any of the above has been asked again, my apologies for the
> duplicate. Any help with any item will be highly appreciated.
>
> Kind regards,
> --
> Athanasios Douitsis

Hello,

Regarding the creation of the telescope and cache related tables, we've
been able to work out a way to create them (without manual database
modifications) by going through the migrations mechanism of Laravel.
Not really certain whether this is the proper and recommended way, but
in any case it works.

The rest of the questions posed in my previous message still stand.

Kind regards,
Athanasios