[ixpmanager] IPv6 and IXP Manager 5

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Sun Nov 17 11:22:17 GMT 2019

Hi Jan,

Jan Ferré wrote on 12/11/2019 09:21:
> Hi all
>
> New to v5 but IXP Manager is active at DIX (Danish Internet Exchange).
>
> We do like to have the IPv6-address at a /64 - using some scheme
> ::0:<AShigh>:<ASlow>:<the IPv4>:0 for the individual users.
>
> Now I don't claim this is very wise! But this is what was decided 10
> years ago.

There is always the option of just deciding that your addressing scheme
should no longer try to carry extraneous information and making all new
addresses simpler 'from now on'. Having spoken to a lot of IXPs over the
years, it's pretty inevitable that those that try to encode extra
information in v6 (which was never possible in v4) nearly always come to
regret it. Just my humble opinion :-)

> Is it possible to permit entering a /64 - simply as a reminder what is
> the preamble for the network? In our case the old VLAN should be
> 2001:7F8:1F::/64 while I guess the new ones will be 2001:7F8:1F:1500:/64
> and 2001:7F8:1F:9000:/64 (signalling the MTU on those new ones.
>
> Luckily the Manager permits entering adresses manually for the
> individual peering partners - still the reminder/documentation of the
> preamble would be nice.

I think I know what you're asking but I think these pages are already
pretty busy. Maybe add an address to the IPv6 address table of just the
base address (e.g. 2001:7F8:1F:1500::) that you'll never assign but can
sit there for documentation purposes?