[ixpmanager] Peering in IXP manager and at switch level.

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Tue Jul 9 10:53:10 IST 2019

Haider Ali wrote on 09/07/2019 10:36:
> You said that nothing is done by operator. So everything is automatic.
> How will then switch be configured in above mentioned case ?

on a regular switch, each device on the peering LAN will be able to
communicate with every other device on the peering LAN. There's no
special configuration required to make this work.

If the switch is forwarding traffic from Amazon to Google, then the
switch won't forward that traffic to e.g. Microsoft.

I.e. for a regular switch, you create a single VLAN and everything will
automatically work the right sort of way.

If you're planning to build an SDN based layer 2 network (e.g. openflow,
etc), then it might be different and there may be a requirement to
program the switch with an adjacency / flow path for each potential
src/dst combo (i'm not very clued up on openflow, so it might be simpler
than this).