[ixpmanager] Is there template for route server & route collector configuration template for Quagga

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Thu Jan 24 19:02:24 GMT 2019

Barry O'Donovan wrote on 24/01/2019 08:45:
> No. Quagga wouldn't be the most suitable daemon for IXP Manager as IXP
> Manager doesn't maintain state. This is an issue because Quagga (last
> time I checked which, admittedly, is quite a while) does not support a
> complete configuration reload function and so - for example - sessions
> would not be removed.

what this means in practice is that it's troublesome to automate quagga
effectively, and almost impossible to automate it fully.  Separate to
this, Quagga has serious problems relating to resource scheduling on
busy route servers, and some has some race conditions which can cause
the daemon to crash if you remove peers too quickly under conditions of
high load.  There is no way of fixing these problems other than
redesigning and rewriting large chunks of quagga.

We used to use Quagga at INEX several years ago (there are still bits of
config buried deep in the IXP Manager git repo) but never released what
we ran in production for the route servers because it was too fragile to
be able to support properly outside INEX.  The entire framework that
this coded used has now been removed, so any future attempt to support
quagga would mean rewriting things from scratch.

I can see the attraction of running a route server with a cisco-style
CLI, but quagga is unsuitable for reliable route server functionality in
its current state.