[ixpmanager] Issue in Discovering MAC addresses with the script

Nick Hilliard (INEX) nick at inex.ie
Fri Aug 2 16:00:11 IST 2019

Ahmed Al-Saruri wrote on 02/08/2019 15:14:
> The switchport is the same for all interfaces which is:
> OcNOS-1-3-6-248-DC-IPBASE-IP Infusion-Hw Model is EC_AS5812-54X
>
> This is a bug and being fixed by vendor. I am not sure if it is the
> reason for my issue here or not.

yup, that's definitely both a bug and the cause of this particular
problem.  Once they fix this, update-l2database.pl should work a good
deal better.

ifDescr should present the interface name.  There is a lot of dispute in
snmp circles about what ifName, ifDescr and ifAlias should really
contain.  Unfortunately a mistake was made by a specific vendor in the
1980s when they put the interface name into ifDescr and all other
vendors have copied this mistake since then.  It would be good if
IPInfusion could also do this because if they don't, then their snmp
implementation will be largely incompatible with everyone else's.

> Regarding the switchhostname I have changed the name only when copied to
> you to hide the real name. There is no space in it.

ok, just checking :-)