[ixpmanager] Change in bird template

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Wed Oct 24 12:08:38 IST 2018

Vladislav Bidikov wrote on 24/10/2018 11:37:
> I would agree on the functionalities... but running a full PHP + web
> server on the RS for BirdsEye seems like a overkill to me 😊

PHP + lighttpd vs Go + Go web server. Not sure I see the difference.

Although I should update the docs for PHP + PHP-FPM -> then it's
unarguably equivalent.

I'm certainly not telling you to change, but the logic presented above
doesn't stack up. The feature divergence will also only increase.

  - Barry

> Birdwatcher is a very low profile Go application (you can build it
> without dependencies) and later i can add it to Alice-LG which can live
> on the same web server as IXP manager ...
>

> Hope to have best of both worlds soon ...
>

> Cheers,
>

> --
>
> V.B
>
> FCC

> *Subject:* Re: [ixpmanager] Change in bird template
>

> Vladislav Bidikov wrote on 24/10/2018 00:16:
>> Birdwatcher parses the output of birdc and expects (for now) the time
>> format to be iso long. You need to configure
>>
>> timeformat base         iso long;
>> timeformat log          iso long;
>> timeformat protocol     iso long;
>> timeformat route        iso long;
>>
>> in your /etc/bird[6].conf for birdwatcher to work.
>
> Oh, nice. We should add that to the route server templates by default
> since Bird's default is pretty inconsistent:
>
>   > By default, BIRD uses the iso short ms format for route and
>   > protocol times, and the iso long ms format for base and log times.
>
> Note that BirdsEye supports Bird's default.
>
>> So this needs to be added to the bird.conf template so auto-generation
>> works as expected...
>>
>> Any programmatic way to achieve this ?
>
> Yeah, skin [1] this file:
>
> https://git.io/v94mn
>

> Note that while using Alice-LG is a fine, it has no direct integration
> into IXP Manager. BirdsEye was written explicitly for this purpose and
> we have a number of planned features for Q4 2018 / Q1 2019 which will
> require BirdsEye (no reason BirdsEye and Alice-LG cannot both be used by
> the way).
>
> BirdsEye sits nicely into IXP Manager, e.g.:
>
> https://www.inex.ie/ixp/lg/rc1-lan1-ipv4
>
>    - Barry
>
> [1] https://docs.ixpmanager.org/features/skinning/

INEX Operations