[ixpmanager] (no subject)

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Sat Mar 3 12:21:26 GMT 2018

Diarmuid O Briain wrote:
> There is nowhere in the IXP Manager install instructions to pre
> install "php7.0 php7.0-cgi php7.0-mbstring and php7.0-xml unzip" ??
>
> I am assuming it is done as part of the script ?

Hi Diarmuid,

This is documented on the manual installation instructions page here:

http://docs.ixpmanager.org/install/manually/

You're correct that these versions of php are also installed with the
script.

The code-bases for both IXP Manager and Birdseye depend on language
constructions which are available only in PHP version 7.0 or later.
This is a requirement of the libraries used by both applications rather
than coding decisions made by our dev team.

Unfortunately, Ubuntu LTS (i.e. 14.04 and 16.04) only include PHP 5.6 in
the base distribution.  This makes the installation process for the two
systems is more complicated than we would like for a couple of reasons,
one of which is that the package names vary in different versions of Ubuntu.

Although both packages will run on Ubuntu 17, given some work, we
recommend not running IXP Manager or Birdseye on either 17.04 or 17.10.
 The reason is that Ubuntu 17 is not an LTS release, so Canonical will
be dropping support for both 17.04 and 17.10 very shortly.

When Ubuntu 18.04 LTS is released, we'll support this and after the
usual bugs are shaken out, we'll move this to being the recommended
release for both IXP Manager and Birdseye, as it supports PHP 7.2.

Until then, we recommend sticking with 16.04 for both applications and
using the installation script for IXP Manager.