[ixpmanager] Graphing

Diarmuid O Briain diarmuid at obriain.com
Fri Mar 2 11:23:43 GMT 2018

Edrich et al,

Thanks, I certainly thought so. However I am confused about that now. The
notes on Grapher talk about starting and stopping using standard initd
scripts ? Ubuntu 16.04 upon which the IXP Manager is based uses systemctl
not initd.

According to the documentation:

To start and stop MRTG use the standard initd scripts:

ubuntu at ixpm1:~$ sudo cp $IXPROOT/tools/runtime/mrtg/ubuntu-mrtg-initd
/etc/init.d/mrtg

ubuntu at ixpm1:~$ sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/mrtg

ubuntu at ixpm1:~$ sudo update-rc.d mrtg defaults

ubuntu at ixpm1:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/mrtg start
[....] Starting mrtg (via systemctl): mrtg.serviceJob for mrtg.service
failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl
status mrtg.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
 failed!

ubuntu at ixpm1:~$ systemctl status mrtg.service
● mrtg.service - LSB: mrtg init script
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/mrtg; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2018-03-02 11:06:15 UTC;
39s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 1798 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/mrtg start (code=exited, status=2)

It then says:

And disable the default cron job for MRTG on Ubuntu (/etc/cron.d/mrtg).

So which is it, does it run as a daemon or does /etc/cron.d/mrtg run the
cron every 5 minutes ?

My /var/log/mrtg/mrtg.log is giving the following message:

ERROR: I Quit! Another copy of mrtg seems to be running. Check /etc/mrtg.pid
Daemonizing MRTG ...
ERROR: I Quit! Another copy of mrtg seems to be running. Check /etc/mrtg.pid
Daemonizing MRTG ...
ERROR: I Quit! Another copy of mrtg seems to be running. Check /etc/mrtg.pid
Daemonizing MRTG ...

root at ixpm1:~# cat /etc/mrtg.pid
1666

The MRTG process is running.

root at ixpm1:~# ps -ef | grep mrtg
root      1666     1  0 11:00 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/perl -w
/usr/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg.cfg

regards,

Diarmuid

--

*Irish by birth, located in Uganda but Munster by the grace of God.*