[ixpmanager] How to run IXP manager on localhost

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Fri Jul 27 09:07:35 IST 2018

Abdul,

I'm going to reply in two parts.

This first:

Abdul Saboor wrote on 27/07/2018 05:32:
> I am new on the IXP Manager platform and I have subscribed ixp manager.
> I wanted to add a few tabs and functionality on the top of existing IXP
> manager.

Just a general note in case you'd like to see this integrated into IXP
Manager in the future:

If new features should be core then please talk to us directly before
starting development so we can ensure that such code could be easily
integrated.

We have learned the very (very) hard way to avoid adding bespoke /
non-core functionality into the core of IXP Manager. Especially code
that would not ordinarily be used or tested (or testable easily) by the
core IXP Manager developers as this creates a bunch of issues including:

a) becomes a new consideration for IXP Manager updates and schema changes;

b) the IXP Manager issue tracker and mailing list will be the goto place
for people seeking help with this functionality and we will not be able
to provide that;

c) would require assurances of maintainers and support for the new
functionality to the project;

d) large features require documentation: https://docs.ixpmanager.org/

e) past experience has shown us that we often end up having to remove
chunks of non-core functionality due to (a), (b) and (c) above and this
is also costly on time.

Now, I /really/ do not want to discourage adding functionality to IXP
Manager.

One of the advantages of switching from Zend Framework to Laravel has
been the ability to have add on functionality by way of packages:

https://laravel.com/docs/5.6/packages

I think this is a perfect way to add new non-core features and we can
help ensuring UI hooks by detecting the package and adding menu options.

This also solves all the issues above:

a) is not an impediment to upgrades: if the package falls behind the
pace of IXP Manager development and someone wants to use that package
support, they just install a version of IXP Manager that is aligned with
the package.

b) issue and support wise, having non-core code as a package creates a
clean line of delineation between IXP Manager and that code so people
can raise issues and questions with the correct project.

c) is mostly answered by (a).

d) documentation becomes the purview of the new package's team and we
can provide the appropriate links from ours.

Now, maybe you were just adding stuff for your own use! That's fine too,
I just wanted to provide the above context for all.

  - Barry