[ixpmanager] New install step by step

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Tue Jul 17 01:51:41 IST 2018

On 16 Jul 2018, at 16:35, Vladislav Bidikov wrote:

> That means i need to add both IPv4 and IPv6 in the ip address section
> and then try to add the switch via SNMP...

to be clear, the IP address section is used for what you’d allocate to
peers, and not to discover the switch for management purposes.

> since we use a Huawei 5720 (and it's not in the vendors list) - how do
> we proceed ?

you can “add” additional vendors.  the key thing will be whether, or
not, your switch responds to snmp requests.  you can try a simple
snmpwalk from the command line and see what that returns.  ixpmanager
uses OSS_SNMP to make intelligent guesses about your device.  you’ll
find more information on device discovery here:
https://github.com/opensolutions/OSS_SNMP/wiki/Device-Discovery.
sorry, i’ve never used your switches, so i can’t add anything more
useful here.

> Also, any tutorial about crating a VM for the RS with bird ???

use the bird repository from cznic, and not the default that ships with
your operating system.  other than that, read the “router” sections
of the documentation, as that will walk you through the steps that you
need to get your route server up and running.

good luck!
—n.