[ixpmanager] SNMP Switch Port Detection Quirks

Kyle Spencer kyle at stormzero.com
Thu Jan 25 16:29:12 GMT 2018

In IXP Manager 4.7.0:

It seems that the SNMP-based switch polling system is only adding SFP
ports to the IXP Manager database which have an "Operational State" of
"Up" (i.e. they have an optic inserted).

Any SFP ports that have an "Operational State" of "Down" are not added
to the database even if their "Admin State" is detected as "Up" (i.e.
they are enabled).

In practice, this means that many SFP ports on the switch are not
readily available for use in IXP Manager because they were not
pre-filled with an optic at the time of the initial SNMP poll.

Therefore, when I want to connect a customer to a port that was not
added to the database (due to the above issue), I follow these
workaround steps:

1) Insert an optic into the port

2) Navigate to "Switches > More > View Live Port States" in order to
trigger a fresh SNMP poll. This detects the port with the optic and
makes it available in IXP Manager.

3) Continue with the regular process for applying that port to a customer.

Am I missing something? Is there a better workaround? Why wouldn't the
SNMP polling system add *all* switch ports to the system by default?
Or, if not all ports, even just the ones with "Admin State" = "Up"
(i.e. enabled)?

Regards,
Kyle Spencer

--