[ixpmanager] Trouble adding v6 /64

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at controlfreak.co.za
Mon Jan 15 11:09:08 GMT 2018

On 15 Jan 2018, at 12:29, Kyle Spencer wrote:

> Great; thanks for the feedback. Looks like manual entry will be the
> solution until I find time to do a proper upgrade.
>
> Curious to know why you think my v6 address plan would cause
> self-loathing down the road ;)

tl;dr:  the address families are separate and unrelated.  don’t build
dependencies between them.

in addition to what barry’s already written:
m at levonent:~# whois -h whois.afrinic.net 196.60.255.0 | grep -A3 inetnum
inetnum:        196.60.0.0 - 196.60.255.255
netname:        IXP-RESERVATIONS
descr:          This block is reserved for IXPs as per policy
AFPUB-2014-GEN-004
descr:          For IXP peering purposes

ie, when you apply for your next block of IPv4 addresses for your
peering lan, at afrinic, you won’t be getting addresses assigned from
196.223.x, but from 196.60.y.   so the “consistency” that you are
aiming for, would be unrealised in the future.  unless, of course, you
plan to change your IPv6 addresses at the same time - and that’s a
totally unnecessary pain.

-n.