[ixpmanager] BIRD Config Gen: Prefixes Not Being Exported; Strange Errors

Kyle Spencer kyle at stormzero.com
Tue Feb 13 12:54:59 GMT 2018

I agree that it makes sense to deploy IRRDB filtering when route
servers are first enabled. However, IXP Manager is often deployed in
preexisting IXPs with preexisting route servers that do not have IRRDB
filtering enabled.

It is of course worthwhile to teach such IXP operators about IRRDB
filtering and why they should work with their participant networks to
enable it -- and I do -- but, in the mean-time, I also have to train
them how to turn it off so that their IXP can function as it did
before we installed IXP Manager.

In my view, the primary rationale for most IXP Manager deployments is
efficiency derived from automation, and an unchangeable default
setting that often introduces significant friction seems counter to
this :)

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:32 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
> Kyle Spencer wrote:
>> Yeah; well, I spend a lot of time training people how to turn it off
>> because it tends to breaks IXPs in Africa where many networks don't have
>> IRR objects configured and/or IXP admins are not aware of which IRRDBs
>> apply when they do.
>>
>> It seems to me like a feature that should be enabled by choice when an
>> IXP is ready to make that jump, rather than a standard which should be
>> enabled by default.
>
> We've all been through this, multiple IXPs. The end result is worth it.
>
> The best time to enable IRRDB filtering is when route servers are first
> enabled.  It takes work anywhere in the world, and possibly slightly
> more in africa because of cultural stuff and inherent distrust of any
> "authority", afrinic explicitly included.
>
> The problem is, if route server irrdb filtering isn't enabled on day 1,
> there are no compelling reasons to enable it down the road either, and
> lots of reasons not to.  People have a working service, so why would the
> IXP break it?
>
> The reasons not to enable irrdb filtering come down to how to motivate
> people to insert route: / route6: records into afrinic or another irrdb.
> There is nowhere in the world that this doesn't take effort, but it's
> one-shot effort, with low maintenance requirements and solid long term
> returns.
>
> Nick

Cell/WhatsApp/Signal: +256790884905