[ixpmanager] Additional Virtual Interfaces Not Included In Auto-generated RS Configs

Rasmus Åberg rasmus at sthix.net
Tue Sep 12 17:20:02 IST 2017

You need to add the second IP address as a new VLAN interface on the first virtual interface instead of creating a new one. It’ll get you up and running for now. But as nick says this isn’t a great idea in the long run.

//Rasmus

On 2017-09-12, 17:34, "ixpmanager on behalf of Kyle Spencer" <ixpmanager-bounces at inex.ie on behalf of kyle at stormzero.com> wrote:

    Understood. We'll force them to migrate to a different architecture.

    On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 6:32 PM, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
    > Kyle Spencer wrote:
    >> I have a peer using two IP addresses on a single physical interface.
    >
    > This is deliberately not supported.  Give them two interfaces and lock
    > down the number of MAC addresses to one per interface, preferably with a
    > static layer 2 ACL. If there are issues relating to getting a
    > cross-connect to this organization, this may require you to host one of
    > their switches in your rack with local cross-connect into the IXP fabric
    > - if they do this, make sure that they've split out the vlans properly
    > and that you can only see one MAC address on each port.
    >
    > Essentially what you're doing here is extending your IXP into someone
    > else's network, which is a strategically bad move from a variety of
    > different reasons, mostly because it will shoot your network's
    > security/stability in the foot.
    >
    > This may not be the answer that's most convenient for you guys right
    > now, but it's something that we would take really seriously and have
    > burn wounds to show for it :-|
    >
    > Nick

    Cell/WhatsApp/Signal: +256790884905