[ixpmanager] IXP Manager Internationalization

Barry O'Donovan barry.odonovan at inex.ie
Thu Nov 23 21:01:22 GMT 2017

Hi Mauricio,

> At CRIX – NIC Costa Rica we are about to launch IXP Manager for our
> members.

Yay!

> We were wondering if the software is already internationalized and in
> such case if there is a plan to translate it to Spanish. If it is on the
> plan we will be happy to collaborate.

There is an open ticket for this [2] but the short answer is no but
maybe we can do something in 2018.

A longer more detailed but rambling answer is below.

We are very aware that this is a key missing feature for many IXPs. In
late 2016 we started a sponsorship program [1] of which year one is
coming to completion.

We have a (as yet unpublished) plan for year two (2018) which includes
the redesign of the member login area (not the admin area). I think it's
this member login area that would most benefit from i18n.

As we now have a native French speaking developer (hi Yann!) maybe when
doing that we could look seriously at i18n.

The main reason this hasn't been looked at properly to date was that
when only INEX funded the development of IXP Manager, i18n was not a
requirement. Thanks to the sponsorship it may now be possible (and it is
mentioned in the overall three year plan).

A secondary (but big) reason is also that (speaking for myself) I am a
native English speaker and ave managed to avoid the vagaries of i18n in
my professional life. Note that I say that as an Irish person in a
country where Irish, alongside English, is a national language; but I
can barely string a sentence in Irish together and care less to! A
consequence of this is that i18n is this big scary unknown space to me.

 - Barry

[1] https://www.ixpmanager.org/media/2016/2016-02-Funding-Model-1.4.pdf
[2] https://github.com/inex/IXP-Manager/issues/86