[ixpmanager] Users and permissions (bower upgrade problems)

Hege Trosvik hege.trosvik at usit.uio.no
Wed Mar 29 09:36:23 IST 2017

I have modified the ubuntu install-script to work for fedora,
and I assume the install-scripts are meant to be run as root.
This is working fine, until I now try to do an upgrade strictly
by the book and run into bower complaints.

As far as I have been able to figure out, here is the problem:

The install script does "chown -R www-data: $IXPROOT" right after
checking out ixpmanager, then does various stuff, including bower
as www-data:

sudo -u www-data bash -c "HOME=$IXPROOT && cd $IXPROOT && bower --config.interactive=false -f update &>> /tmp/ixp-manager-install.log"

before doing:

chown -R root: ${IXPROOT}
chown -R www-data: ${IXPROOT}/storage ${IXPROOT}/var ${IXPROOT}/bootstrap/cache ${IXPROOT}/database/Proxies &>> /tmp/ixp-manager-install.log

When I follow the docs to do an upgrade, I also do it as root,
but "bower install" does not want to be run as root, and the
"sudo -u www-data..." (or sudo -u apache for fedora) does not
work as most of $IXPROOT is now owned by root.

Any recommendations for users/permissions here?

    Hege