[ixpmanager] VPLS/EVPN support

Andreas Polyrakis apolyr at noc.grnet.gr
Fri Jun 30 10:51:07 IST 2017

Hi,

We also moving towards an EVPN/VXLAN direction, although we are not yet
sure about the exact flavor. We have ruled out VPLS, but I mentioned
this as I believe that there are still a lot of exchanges that implement it.

We have already deployed EVPN over VXLAN in the GRNET datacenters; so we
hope that we will follow the same setup for GR-IX. However, given
possible restrictions of the vendor that we end up with, we might
implement only VXLAN (maybe with EVPN over MPLS as a last option).

I do not understand your comment about L2 addresses and EVPN. I would
expect that they would be useful on a (plain) VXLAN environment, in
order to replace the data plane mac learning. With EVPN, there is still
some limited data plane mac learning on the port that participates on
EVPN, but EVPN takes care of MAC synchronization between the PEs. Do you
imply that there is a way to totally deactivate data plane mac learing?
If yes, could you share some pointers (maybe on a private email, if you
think that this is off-topic).

Anyway, getting back to our topic: One of the key drivers for switching
to EVPN is to implement reselling in a way better than using fanout
switches/ports: We want to be able to configure customers as vlans on a
reseller port. IXPmanager does not support this; only entire ports can
be assigned to customers. Any plans for this?

Regards

Andreas Polyrakis - apolyr at noc.grnet.gr
GRNET NOC Technical Manager
Greek Research & Technology Network - http://www.grnet.gr
7, Kifisias Av., 11523 Athens, Greece
Mobile: +30 6972832445    Office: +30 2107474249   Fax: +30 2107474490